Authentication with the System Center Operations Manager server was unsuccessful
A user sees the following message when trying to logon:
"Authentication with the System Center Operations Manager server was unsuccessful"
This message means that either:
- The user trying to log on is not a SCOM user and is therefore unable to authenticate against the SCOM SDK.
- The SCOM server specified is incorrect or inaccessible and therefore SquaredUp DS cannot communicate with the SCOM SDK.
If others users can log in:
Check that this user is a SCOM user. Check in Active Directory Users and Computers that this user is a member of a group that has permissions to access SCOM. Commonly used roles include Administrator and Read-Only Operator, but users with other roles - such as Read-Only Operator, Operator, Advanced Operator and Author - may also log on, see Who can log on to SquaredUp DS?.
If no one can log in:
Check that the SCOM server specified is correct and that the System Center Data Access Service is running on that server:
- On the SCOM server open Server Manager > Tools > Services and right-click on the System Center Data Access Service and click start or restart. Then test again.
Run notepad as administrator (File, Run, type
notepad, and then right-click and select Run as administrator) and then open the
scom.jsonfile that is in your SquaredUp DS folder in the following path:
...\User\Configuration\scom.jsonWhere to find the SquaredUp folder
Name of the SquaredUp folder
The default name of the SquaredUp folder is
SquaredUpfor v6 and above.
, and for v4.
Location of the SquaredUp folder
A custom location may have been chosen during the installation.
The default location for the SquaredUp folder is
For v5 it is
and for v4.
If you are using high availability (HA) check the
scom.jsonon any SquaredUp server.
Update the value next to
server-addressto the correct SCOM server name, for example:
SCOMServer01should be replaced by your SCOM server name.
- Save the file.
- Recycle the SquaredUp DS application pool in IIS in your SquaredUp server(s).
- Check that you can log in to SquaredUp DS.