Ok, so you've used SquaredUp DS in your test environment, and are now looking to deploy it into your production environment. So what do you need to think about?
I've got a previous version of SquaredUp DS, can I upgrade to the latest version?
For upgrades to the next major version, such as v4 to v5, or v3 to v4, the installer will default to installing side-by-side to your previous instance, see:
Upgrades to a minor version, such as v4.6.0 to v4.8.1, or v5.0 to v5.0.1, see:
If you are using multiple SquaredUp servers using high availability (HA) with a load balancer see Enabling High Availability.
What do I need to consider regarding server sizing, scalability and performance?
SquaredUp DS can be installed on any server, such as your SCOM server, SCOM web server (alongside the SCOM web console) or on a single dedicated server. There are no minimum requirements for installation, but as we often get asked for guidelines, you'll find some useful information in the following articles:
- Supported platforms and configuration (System Requirements, Server Spec and Sizing)
- SquaredUp DS and the SDK user limit (SquaredUp DS and the SDK user limit)
How do I install SquaredUp DS?
How do I configure SquaredUp DS to use a domain service account?
By default SquaredUp DS uses the Network Service account, but if you prefer to use a domain service account see How to check and modify the application pool identity
How do I configure Windows authentication?
SquaredUp DS is installed with Forms authentication enabled, but if you'd prefer the browser to automatically authenticate the user with their Windows credentials you can easily enable Windows authentication, see User authentication methods for SquaredUp DS for SCOM.
How do I configure a load balancer and high availability?
For using Windows authentication with HA, web farm or a load balancer setup you'll need to configure Kerberos and SPNs, but fear not we've written comprehensive instructions here:
How do I automatically redirect users to the /SquaredUp virtual directory?
If you want users to be able to access SquaredUp DS using just the server name (such as
http://scomdashboards) then you'll need to set up a redirect. For instructions on how this can be done see How to configure a redirect using the IIS URL Rewrite module.
How do I manage named users?
Whilst any SCOM user can log on to SquaredUp DS (Who can log on to SquaredUp DS?), the number of users is restricted by the number of licenses (Named Users) you have purchased from SquaredUp. See How to manage Named Users
What network configuration do I need?
You shouldn't need to configure any new firewall rules, but for more information about the ports required by SquaredUp DS please see Which ports do I need to open in my firewall?
What changes do I need to make to my SCOM environment?
SquaredUp DS has very little impact on your SCOM environment, but depending on your set up you may find these articles useful:
- To show performance graphs, SquaredUp DS connects to the SCOM Data Warehouse using its IIS application pool identity - How to check and reconfigure the Data Warehouse connection
- Configure Company Knowledge management packs - How to change where company knowledge is saved
- Link to SquaredUp DS from your email notifications by editing the SMTP channels - How to enable HTML email notifications in SCOM
- Open Access allows users to view a version of the dashboard with simplified interactivity. Open Access dashboards do not require authentication and do not consume Named User licenses - Sharing Dashboards with anyone - Open Access
- Enterprise Applications are saved to SCOM - Enterprise Applications
Do I need any antivirus rules set up?
Yes, see Users are unexpectedly logged out of SquaredUp DS to find out how to add AV exclusions.
How do I backup SquaredUp DS?
How easy is it to upgrade SquaredUp DS to the latest version?
If you're using high availability read this first: Enabling High Availability.
Is there anything else that should be covered here? Please let us know, we're always looking for feedback about how you've set up SquaredUp DS in your environment, so please do drop us a line at SquaredUp Support with any suggestions or queries.